Polenta and Meatballs
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25minutes
1 pound ground turkey breast or thigh. You could also do a mix or ground beef and Italian sausage (see note)*
1 pre-cooked log of Polenta, sliced into about ½ in rounds
1/3 yellow onion, diced **
1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced or shredded
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 to 3 cups of store bought marinara sauce (I like Raos’ Marinara)
½ cup of almond meal for GF or Italian style bread crumbs
1 teaspoon of dried oregano plus extra for dusting the polenta
1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, plus 1 teaspoon for meatballs
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line large sheet pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
2. Arrange the polenta first on the parchment paper and add salt, pepper, garlic salt and Italian seasoning on each one
3. Add the ground meat of your choice to medium sized bowl. Then add the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, breadcrumbs (or almond meal) oregano, minced garlic, onion, Italian seasoning and the grated Parmesan cheese. *
4. Mix everything into small meatballs (about 1-1/2inch) and place on top of the polenta and anywhere there is a free space. Keep the polenta close together.
5. Bake for 10 minutes turn the meatballs and bake for 15 more minutes.
Then add the marinara sauce on top of the meatballs followed by a slice of the mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10-15 more minutes.
- You can use any arrangement of ground meat. My favorite is ground turkey breast and thigh. But if you like Italian sausage split this with grass fed ground beef.
- You can saute the diced onion for a little more flavor and if you have time. Not required.