Sausage, White Bean and Kale
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Some of the prep time can be done while cooking so cooking time can lower.
1 pound of mild Italian Sausage
½ yellow onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
4-6 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup butternut squash, diced (optional if in season)
1 cup of yellow/new potatoes, diced
1 bay leaf
1- 48 ounce chicken stock/broth
¼ teaspoon thyme
1 ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
½ teaspoon of garlic powder
2-1/2 cups of chopped kale
Salt and Pepper
Shredded Asiago cheese or Parmesan, optional
1. Heat Dutch oven on stove and heat 2 Tablespoon of EVOO. Cook the Italian Sausage into small pieces, about 5-7 minutes. Drain the sausage, leaving about 1 Tablespoon of sausage grease in dutch oven.
2. Add onion, carrot, potato and squash. Add the Italian seasoning, salt, minced garlic and thyme and let cook until the potatoes start to soften, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the beans, chicken broth and sausage to the pan. Add garlic powder and more 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix everything together and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer and let it cook for about 30 minutes.
4. Add kale and continue to cook for about 15 more minutes.
5. Serve warm and garnished with cheese if you would like.
If you want a thicker soup, remove some potatoes, carrots and squash with broth and use immersion blender.
Serve with baguette
If leftovers, make sure it cools down completely before you put into refrigerator. Reheat on stove for best results. This soup is better on the second day, which is hard to imagine, but it is! ENJOY