Greek Chicken Bowls
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Feeds: 4-6 people
Marinade for the chicken
4-6 organic chicken breasts, cleaned, trimmed and cut into small pieces or diced.
1 yellow onion, sliced
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup of Lemon Juice
Zest of one lemon
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
For the Salad
Pitted Italian Olives marinated, olive bar at Whole Foods is my favorite
Mixed greens, whatever your family likes to eat
1 english cucumber, scored and diced small bite size
cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
For the Salad Dressing
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of red wine vinegar
lemon juice and zest
1 teaspoon of oregano and thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
fresh parsley chopped, about 1 Tablespoon, loosely
Naan Bread, optional
1. Clean, trim and cut chicken, add to a ziploc bag or reusable bowl
2. Add all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl,mix ***and pour over chicken, let marinate at least 30 minutes or a few hours.
3. Make the dressing (while all ingredients are still out) for the salad, mix together in a bowl or tall glass jar ingredients for the dressing. Move to refrigerator to chill.
4. In a large heated skillet, add 2 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add sliced onions and add salt to onions, and let cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Add chicken to pan, discard marinade and ziploc bag. Stir everything together and add a touch more salt and squeeze of lemon juice. Let cook uncovered for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Cover the pan and increase temperature to medium high and let cook for about 2 minutes, turn off stove and move to bowls.
7. While the chicken is cooking pull out shallow bowls and add mixed green, cucumbers and tomatoes.
8. Drizzle on the dressing onto mixed greens.
9. Add the olives to one corner and hummus to another corner
10. Spoon the chicken and onions on top of the mixed greens.
10. Serve immediately, garnish with lemon wedge and chopped parsley
***Taste the marinade before it goes on the chicken, see what you think, might need more salt, maybe more parsley
***My traditional hummus recipe is on website, just look up Hummus and it will pop up.
make enough for leftovers the next day, it’s even better