Chicken & Vegetable Curry
Slow Cooker: low 6-8 hours
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 sweet potatoes, cut into cubes
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper
1 cup of snap peas
2 cans of coconut milk, I use full fat *** (see notes)
3 teaspoon of curry powder
1 plus 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of corainder
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon of ginger
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 cup of water or broth
1 lime- cut into wedges (optional)
1. Pull out your slow cooker and add your clean and trimmed chicken breasts. You can cut the chicken breast into cubes if you would like or leave whole and then shred them an hour before cooking is done.
2. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into cubes. Leave the red bell pepper and snap peas till 30 minutes before serving so they don’t over cook.
3. Slice the onion and put in bowl with sweet potatoes
4. Measure out all the spices and mix together in bowl
5. Pour the coconut milk over the chicken, make sure that the bottom of the chicken gets covered with milk. Add the sweet potatoes and onions to the slow cooker.
6. Add all the spices and smashed garlic, then add the broth or water to the slow cooker. Mix everything together. Let cook for 6-8 hours on low.
7. When there is about 30 minutes left add the snap peas and red bell pepper
8. Serve over jasmine rice or brown rice*** (see notes)
9. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges
If you decide to use light coconut milk, your curry will be very watery, so you could try 1 full fat and 1 light even. I recommend for a richer more filling taste to use the full fat version of coconut milk.
If you want a little sweeter you can add 1 teaspoon of sugar with the spices, but only if you like your curry sweet, I personally don’t.
I would recommend Jasmine rice with curry, the stickiness goes so well, but brown rice or quinoa would be nice here too, or you could be like my 9 year old and add ramen noodles. You will need a rice or noodle with this dish.