Slow Cooker/Gluten Free Beef Bourguignon
This slow cooker recipe does take a little bit of prep work but totally worth it! Prep time: 30 minutes at most, and if you do this one extra step you come home to the richest, warming and delicious soups.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 hours on low in slow cooker
6-8 pieces of bacon
2.5-3 pounds of beef chuck roast
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 medium carrots, sliced diagonally
1.5 tablespoon of tomato paste
40z of tomato sauce
2 teaspoon of worcestershire sauce
2 cups of good red wine, pinot noir is what i used
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1.5 -2 cups of chicken broth
1 pound of button mushrooms sliced
1 pound of yellow potatoes
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
salt & pepper
french loaf of crusty bread
1. cook bacon in large skillet over medium high heat. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Pour the bacon grease into bowl, you will be using it to cook the ingredients.
2. using a paper towel, dry the beef cubes, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 1 teaspoon of the bacon grease and then add the beef cubes to pan, sear the meat, turn the pieces and then once all sides are seared move to the slow cooker. This is not a step to skip. This holds in all the juices! YUM
3. after you finish all your batches of beef, add red wine over medium heat, scraping the bottom of the pan so all the bits come off, let the alcohol burn off and pour this yumminess right over the meat. Wipe out the pan, you are almost there.
4. add another teaspoon of the bacon grease, you may need more. Add sliced onion and let it cook 2-4 minutes, then add carrots, potatoes and garlic. mix all vegetables so they are evenly covered over medium heat. Salt and pepper as you go along.
5. adjust heat to low and add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, wostershire and garlic powder stirring everything together.
6. Add vegetables mixture to the slow cooker. Add the chicken broth to slow cooker, you want to make sure ingredients get covered pretty well, about 3/4’s full. Add the bay leaf and fresh thyme.
7. 30 minutes before serving, add the extra teaspoon of bacon grease to pan and add sliced mushrooms, let them cook till their juices come out and then add to the slow cooker for remaining cooking time.
you can leave out the mushrooms if your family wants too. All my recipes I try to make that you change to the way it works best for you family. ENJOY!