Black Eyed Pea Gumbo (Gluten Free)
Prep time: 45-50 minutes
Cook Time: from 1 hour to 6 hours simmering
3/4 quarters pound of peeled deveined raw shrimp (take off tails)
3 links of smoked Andouille Sausage, cut in half and then again ( you could swap for less spice if needed)
1 pound of chicken thighs, cut up into pieces
2 BPA free cans of Black Eyed Peas
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup of celery, diced
3/4 can of tomato paste
1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
32 ounces chicken broth
2 Tablespoons Cajun Seasoning ( I prefer the CO-OP brand from Whole Foods)
3 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
3 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon of thyme
2 teaspoon of garlic powder
3/4 cup of okra, if you don’t love okra just do 1/2 cup
EVOO and Salt and Pepper
Cooked brown rice
- Have all ingredients prepped and ready before starting.
- Swirl 2 Tablespoon of EVOO to your dutch oven over medium heat
- Add diced yellow onion, red bell pepper and celery and add salt, and let cook about 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While that is cooking make sure all tails have been pulled off the shrimp
- Add minced garlic right before you add shrimp.
- Add shrimp to dutch oven and let cook for about 2 minutes, flip them and cook for 2 more minutes. Add almost 1/2 the Cajun Seasoning, salt and pepper and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder to shrimp
- Take shrimp out and let drain on plate.
- Add the cut up chicken and sausage to dutch oven and stir together, add more salt, and cook until starts to brown about another 6-7 minutes.
- Add shrimp back into pan and mix everything together.
- Stir in tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder salt and pepper, continue to stirring until the tomato paste is mixed together.
- Add chicken broth, fire roasted diced tomatoes, thyme, Cajun Seasoning and black eyed peas. Stir everything together and bring back to a boil.
- Simmer until you are ready to eat. Serve over cooked brown rice, cornbread and Tabasco
This is great served with cornbread. A perfect meal for New Years Day!